Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I Don't Eat Fast Food... Sort Of

I think I might have an eating disorder.  Don't be fooled by my small build and constant snacking.  Oh no, there is something else and it isn't normal.

In the past 6 months or so I feel like it has become increasingly trendy to say, "I don't eat fast food."  I can understand the reasoning behind a statement like this.  Fast food is not healthy, contains questionable ingredients, is poor quality, and not worth the money.  I get this.  I've seen Supersize Me.  I even worked at Wendy's a couple summers.  I don't want to eat fast food either!

But...

I don't really want to make my lunch everyday. I'm lazy.  It is my major flaw.  So...  here's what happened:  One day last week my lunch break appeared at the usual time. I got in my car and had my normal daily inner dialogue, "What do I want to eat today?  Not fast food...  but what else is there?  Umm..."  and then it hit me!  I could go to Whole Foods and pick up some fruit!  Excellent.  Except, when I got in that store I suddenly wasn't hungry for fruit anymore.  It's all organic so it lacked that glossy sheen like the fruit in the real grocery stores.  Lackluster fruit?  Gross.  So I forced myself to get a couple non-glossy plums and some overpriced $5 juice that I'm convinced was just bottled kool-aid with a fancy wrapper and made-up vitamins (seriously, "Bioflavonoid Complex"?).  So I took my bag containing 2 plums and "juice" to my car and went to Wendy's drive-thru.  Spicy chicken sandwich with no mayo, lettuce, or tomato, and add a packet of ranch dressing.  Perfect.  And that's when it happened.  Without thinking I took that bag and put it in my Whole Foods bag.  And I went back to work and carried in my Whole Foods bag containing contraband (The security guard looked quite pleased that I wasn't carrying in fast food.  What he doesn't know won't hurt him), settled in at my desk and opened bag one and bag two.  I ate my fast food and non-glossy plum, and drank my bioflavanoid complex kool-aid.  I did it!  A lunch that wasn't fast food... sort of.

If you ever see me with a Whole Foods bag please don't say anything.  Just let me be happy with my own version of "not eating fast food".



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you're eating healthy! ~mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! I won't be fooled by you anymore at lunch. Although I can't guarantee that I'll be able to stop looking over at your lunch and not covet what you're eating.

    ReplyDelete